I've been thinking about this a little.
While no one will be able to come to their own funeral to hear the eulogies, you can certainly tell a little with the numerous farewells in life.
A colleague just left. I bought her the card and present on behalf of the team, another colleague organised a lunch. We weren't that close to her, but decided that if we weren't doing it, no one was going to.
Which is a little strange, considering she's been seen as such a good worker. She works long hours, delivers her assignments with spunk, and might be one of the more professional people I've worked with.
Problem is, she's too task driven to stop to have a real chat with any of us. The 'hi' is always a prelude to work. We sort of gave up talking much to her after a while, feeling like all she wanted was to just tick the box, and not really being that interested in our lives.
Maybe it is not everyone's mantra to make friends at work, just keep it at colleague level.
Which may have explained why the farewell was a little nondescript.
If God gave us work as a context, what is the goal?
I'd like to think that it is to show God's love and glory.
But is it a little hard to do so if there weren't bonds of human relationship that acts as a bridge between two people. It is from this bridge that God's love and glory get a chance to travel back and forth.
I never think work is about working 8-12 hours, delivering the goods and leave feeling that you never really made a difference around those you worked with.
Humans... we are made to connect aren't we?